How to Help
“Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done.”
– Justice Louis D. Brandeis
Join us in our mission to preserve, defend and promote land conservation and smart-growth principles through swift, pragmatic action. Because if we don’t do it, no one else will. The time to act is now.
Here are some things YOU can do right now .
- Donate to the LCA Trust – every penny helps conserve more land!
- Join our Ground Force
- Put an LCAT banner ad on your website
- Volunteer your time and skill
- Buy or Sell a House!
- Sign your business up for Pennies for Preservation
- “Like” the LCA Trust Page on Facebook
- Follow LCA Trust on Twitter (@preserveland)
- Read our Blog to learn what we care about
- Make a purchase from our eBay Giving Works Seller
- Add your images to our Flickr Group
The Land Conservation and Advocacy Trust provides emergency funding and legal support to preserve open spaces, farm land, historic architecture, natural resources, and to promote smart-growth ideals that foster these land conservation values. We work closely with land trusts, other stewardship organizations, and on our own initiative so that we can act quickly when local resources are not available to preserve important land parcels, preserve forestry and other historic and natural sites.
Founded in 2008 by Stephen Meltzer, the LCA Trust is a non-profit organization based in Massachusetts and works with conservation and preservation interests throughout the United States and the world. We are engaged in the development of our Endowment for a Living Landscape, which is our long term effort to build capacity for a meaningful way to preserve land in the competitive real estate development arena. We also have grass roots efforts underway to make meaningful contributions to real people through our Fiscally Sponsored organizations.
OUR CORE BELIEF
We believe that conservation and preservation of natural and organic spaces is vital to the physical, emotional and spiritual health and well-being of individuals and communities and that the human condition and society depend on the ability of every individual to meaningfully and regularly interact with a living landscape. Land conservation, preservation and use of smart-growth principles are the most effective ways to provide this interaction and to ensure its longevity by safeguarding wildlife habitat, scenic views, wetlands, sensitive watershed parcels, forests, farm land, greenways, and other valuable open spaces from development and permanent loss.
To create a fund from public and private donations large enough to sustain recurring preservation activity throughout North America, or even beyond. The goal is to build this fund as a decisive weapon in the dynamic fight to defeat unrestricted profit-motivated development in order to save worthy open space, agricultural land, natural resources and historic areas. “Worthy” will be measured by community involvement as a barometer of the impact those preservation efforts have on real people. Money will be used from the fund and then replenished when the local community steps in as the natural stewards and beneficiaries of the preservation effort. The vision is to create a fund that can be used as a vehicle so that anyone, anywhere can emerge into a landscape that is just as much or more alive than they are.
To conserve and preserve open spaces, farm land, historic architecture and natural resources so that everyone may enjoy them, now and forever. Swift action is the cornerstone of implementing our mission.
When opportunities for land conservation arise, financial and legal resources are often needed on very short notice. Local land trusts and stewards often miss out on important preservation opportunities because they lack immediate access to money or legal assistance, and national land trust organizations are not always able to react quickly.
The LCA Trust can respond with emergency funding and legal assistance in these situations—often making resources available within 24 hours.
The goal of the LCA Trust is to pursue worthy local grass-roots supported and benefiting projects in order to help raise awareness to the mission, vision and core beliefs and to grow through contributions and donations, and to replenish disbursements through at-cost transfers of land and conservation easements from local organizations.
LCA Trust assets will be disbursed in order to:
· Preserve land and forestry and/or restore open spaces, natural areas and their resources.
· Promote smart-growth ideals which aid in conservation efforts.
· Protect flood plains, wetlands and waterways.
· Preserve land and forestry for scenic/aesthetic value and recreational use; wildlife habitats, corridors and greenways; and fragile ecosystems.
· Protect land and forestry that is being used for farming or pasture so that such uses can continue.
· Enhance access to public lands and promote the integration of public lands into living communities.
· Utilize undeveloped urban land for spatial definition of urban areas
· Contain the threat of urban and suburban sprawl.