Apply for Fiscal Sponsorship
Fiscal Sponsorship Guidelines and Application
LCAT Legal offers fiscal sponsorship services to individuals and projects that do not have 501(c)(3) non-profit tax-exempt status. Tax-exempt status is required by many foundations, corporations and government agencies in order to be eligible for funding. As a fiscal sponsor, LCAT acts as an umbrella organization for an individual or project and accepts and administers funds on its behalf. LCAT is legally responsible for the funds received on behalf of fiscally sponsored projects and insures that the funds are used for charitable purposes, and that donor reporting requirements are met in a timely fashion.
Fiscal sponsorship broadens the available funding avenues an individual or project can pursue. However, fiscal sponsorships do not provide grants and LCAT does not do research for individual project funding.
Eligibility And Considerations
In order to be eligible to apply to LCAT Legal for Fiscal Sponsorship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Reflect a similar commitment to the goals set forth in LCAT’s mission.
- The work supported must be for purposes which are legal, further a legitimate tax-exempt purpose, and in no way jeopardize the tax status of LCAT.
- Meet the requirements outlined in the Review Criteria section of this application.
Projects are accepted by LCAT after being reviewed using the following criteria:
- Relevance and Significance of Project to LCAT’s exempt purpose and mission.
- Likelihood of Project Completion
- Does the proposed project have a very high likelihood of being successfully completed and is the project feasible?
- Is the budget well developed and realistic for the project? Does the proposal budget match the needs of the project?
- Fundraising Ability
- Are funds already secured or likely to be secured? Has the project director identified appropriate sources of funding for the project? Are the potential funders appropriate for the project?
- Demonstrated Ability of Key Project Personnel
- Do the applicant and the proposed personnel have the ability to successfully complete the proposed project?
- Your project cannot engage any lobbying activities.